More specifically, and in my case, it has an ingredient called Coconut Cream and you’re like whaaaaaaaa? I know coconut milk but where on earth do I find the cream version?
What if I told you that all it required was a refrigerator! Would you believe me?
This happens a lot on our journey to healthier eating and living. It is something I have encountered numerous times. Sometimes it happened to me so often that there were times it left me feeling overwhelmed and wondering if it was even possible to make this transition to healthier eating. All I can say is stay strong! You've got what it takes!
Read on for my incredibly EASY solution to Coconut Cream and another tip for your nutrition toolbox!
MAKE YOUR OWN COCONUT (shhhh…it kinda makes itself!)
1 can of full fat coconut
- Place your can of coconut milk in your refrigerator for 24 hours. The coconut water will settle to the bottom.
- When you are ready to use the cream, open the can and scoop out the thick cream from the top being careful not to disturb the liquid below.
- This usually will yield about ¾ of the can with cream and the other ¼ of the can will be coconut water. It varies by brand.
Tips and Key Notes:
* This will NOT work with “lite” coconut milks. It must be full fat. And for that matter, and contrary to most people’s belief, full fat is better for you. :)
* The brand Aroy-D is my favourite kind because there are no extra fillers. It is not organic however I chose non-organic over all the fillers in the other brands. Read your labels.
* You can use the leftover coconut water for smoothies. Store in a mason jar in your fridge.
* To make whipped coconut cream, follow the instructions above and then add the coconut cream to a mixing boil. Add a desired sweetener (raw honey or maple syrup) and any flavours (vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg) and beat with an electric mixer until it is fluffy. It will lighten up but it will not increase in volume like whipping cream.