Wondering what to do with all of your leftover turkey? Here's an idea!
Mmmmmm....Turkey Veggie Soup. SO yummy it might just knock your wee socks off. ;)
This recipe makes a huge batch. I did that on purpose so I could fill a bunch of 500ml mason jars and freeze them for lunches. Stocking up the freezer!
This recipe is also anti-inflammatory. That means there are no veggies or other ingredients that will cause inflammation in the body. If you want to know more about what inflammation is you can click here and read my nutrition blog post that was featured on Centurion Cycling's website!
It's great as it is for a cyclist in their off season however as training increases you will want to add a complex carbohydrate like brown rice or quinoa. These two grains are my "go-to".
Enjoy! AND if you have any questions or comments or want to tell me how awesome it tasted when you made it, comment below. I'd love to hear from you!
Turkey Veggie Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
3 small red onions, chopped
1 thumb size fresh ginger, minced or chopped finely
5 large garlic cloves, minced
6 carrots, medium sized
10 brussels sprouts, small sized
5 stalks celery, chopped
16 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes (I used Organic GoBIO)
5 large stalks kale, sliced thinly
1 crown broccoli, chopped medium sized chunks
1 lb turkey, cooked
Salt to taste
1. In a stainless steel stock pot, add the olive oil on low to medium heat. Then add the chopped red onions and sauté for 10 to 15 minutes. You want the heat low enough so the onions caramelize slowly which adds to the flavour of the soup.
2. Add the minced garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add carrots, brussels sprouts and celery and sauté for around 5 minutes.
4. Add 16 cups of water and 3 chicken cubes and bring to a boil. Once it boils lower the heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on the pot. **Note - you can boil the kettle and add the chicken cubes to one of the cups of water to dissolves beforehand. It's not really necessary since this will be on simmer for awhile.
5. Add kale, broccoli and turkey and continue to simmer for 10 minutes then remove from heat.
6. Add sea salt to taste. Enjoy!
Questions or Comments?